Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 28: Trash

I really didn't want to take a picture of trash or a trash can, so I'm going with the opposite of trash: Treasure.
This last week I've been working on my latest creation.  It was inspired by THIS bag I saw on Pinterest/Etsy.  I fell in love with the color and the idea of the slouchy bag with  two handles.  I changed it up a bit, to make it my own.

 It's about 20"w x 16"h x 6"d.  I made it to travel with, because I always seem to over stuff my purse.  I got some Turquoise Duck Canvas from JoAnn Fabrics and a cute Cotton Flower print for the lining.  For the brown handle/accents I used 550 Paracord.The front has 4 lined pockets that I put at an angle to add interesting lines.


The sides have a pocket each and tabs to hook the longer strap to.
I didn't line the side pockets.  Instead I made a bias tape and sewed it to the edge.
The back has a huge pocket to stick a lap top in, with a button/elastic closure for easy access.
I lines and over-lapped the lining to make a band for interest.
 I also interfaced the outside parts with stiff iron-on interfacing some peal interfacing.


On the inside of the back outside pocket is a hidden zipper pocket for anything I need easier access to.







The top/shorter handle is as wide as the bag for extra support, but I bound the middle to make it easier to carry with my hand if I don't want to sling it over my shoulder.
The top also has a zipper closer to keep all the stuff I will put in it from spilling out.



The inside has 3 tall and 3 short pockets on each side, for a total of 12 inside, and it's wide enough to put stuff in the middle.

<---------  Here it is hanging by the short handle.


Here it is hanging by the long strap. ------>

I have a enough Duck Canvas left over that I'm planning on making a bag to go with it to carry around as a purse once I get to my destination.   I'll have to find a complimentary lining for my bag.  Look for more pictures to come.

1 comments:

Amanda Anne said...

This bag is amazing!! Any chance I could pay to to make me one? Let me know - I think you have my email...

Amanda :)