Thursday, July 21, 2011

Predicament

What do you do when you have someone who needs to travel with a piece of office equipment that isn't meant to travel?
In my case, Hubby asked me to make a bag for it. It was a paper scanner, and his coworker needed to take it on a plane, but didn't want to take it in it's original packaging because then he would have had to check it (we all know baggage handlers aren't soft handed with our luggage.) So we (Hubby and I) put our heads together and came up with an idea. I then took the idea and made it happen.

TA DA!We got some black duck canvas for the outside and a cotton print for the inside. I also made a hard foam board and soft foam to go in between the layers. It wasn't too bad getting it started, but because of the awkward rigidity of it, I wasn't able to use my sewing machine to finish it, so I had to hand sew all the layers together. I also used nylon webbing for the straps and closures.Here is the inside. One of Hubby's requests was to have robots on the inside. He is a techno guys, so robots are cool. I think it was funny, and hopefully the airport TSA people thought it was funny too.Here it is with the scanner inside. It fit perfectly (because I measured the scanner before I started, and checked my work as I went along). Hubby and his coworker were very impressed that I got it together in less than 3 days.

It will be my first, last, and only bag of this specific kind, but I'm glad it worked.

1 comments:

Scott and Nicole albertson said...

Wow! You are so talented!