Saturday, July 3, 2010

Knitting Up A Storm

About a month ago, I decided to learn to knit, and it's been so much fun. I finally finished a project, and have started on my third. (I'm still working on the first one.) Here is a sneak peek, since it's for a friend, and I want them to be surprised. Several people have been generous and have given me some old supplied: needles and yard. I have a plastic tub I've been putting everything in, but it if gets tipped over, everything scatters. So one night while Hubby was working, I put together a needle case. It was fun to pull out some scraps and come up with something beautiful.
I did crazy/string quilting on one side, and the other is just a solid piece of tan canvas. I made it 24 inches square, then folded over a 5 inch flap for the pocket and a 3 inch flap for the tops. I tacked some ribbon on to tie it shut, and I think I need to add some elastic or something to hold the longer needles in the case.Here is the inside. I have 11 spots for straight needles and a larger pocket for round needles. Most of the pockets can fit more than one set of needle, except the larger sizes. I don't have a full set yet, but I make due with what I have.Here is my current project. It's a log cabin style afghan for my couch. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, but I'll keep you posted. I've been working on it for about a week, and I'm already about 24 inches on the longest side. Just incase there are some knitters that want to know details. I'm using a us size 11, 17 inch needle and just alternating rows: knit one, purl one, with the exception of the dark brown where I've been randomly adding several rows of knitting to give it some interest (you can't tell from the picture, but it's there).