Sunday, January 31, 2010

What's Up?

Chicken Butt!

I couldn't resist. We've been stuck at home all weekend due to snow, so I had to get out and do something.
On Thursday night it began. It started out with freezing rain, then the snow started and didn't stop for about 24 hours. We ended up with about 8-10" of snow before it was done. It got the running board of the car. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it at least gives you
an idea.In our part of Arkansas, that's enough to shut things down. Our town has maybe one snow plow and it was probably being used to clear the main roads. We don't live on a main road. The closest thing we have to getting the dirt road cleared, is if the guy up the street uses his grader to make it less deep. Growing up in Utah, snow days and cancellations weren't until we had at least 2 feet of snow. Here three inches can do it. And that mostly due to the ruggedness of our area. School buses can't drive the roads safely, so no school. We have 4-wheel drive and we don't even want to risk going out. I mean, we could if we had to, but why risk it. I'm just glad that it's already started to melt. I took the ruler out today.
It's down to 7 inches, and I'm sure it will go down pretty quickly in the 40 degree weather we're going to have this week. Duke is loving the snow, but I think that's as far as the enjoyment goes. The chickens refused to come out of their house yesterday, except to eat. There was a trail from their door to their house, and the food bucket. Today was a different story. Although they hate the snow, some braved the outside. I found 9 on the roof of their house, some on the roost Hubby made, and the others were inside. It was pretty funny to see them all lined up, so I took plenty of pictures.This is how I found them. The ones walking around eventually went back into the house and the others stayed while I took pictures of them.Here are the few that couldn't fit on top of the house. They had to settle for Hubby's roost.
The big chickens are braver, or at least don't mind the snow as much. They are sadder looking, because the melting snow drips on them and gets them wet and they look very shabby.Here is Duke playing in the snow. He likes to flip his toys. He'll set them on the ground and dig until it flips between his legs. He'll keep doing that until it's time to go in. He would have stayed longer, but my shoes were soggy and I was getting too cold. I guess that's all for now. We'll just keep watching the snow melt and get on with our week.

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

I can't remember if I already sent you this, but if not, its a fascinating publication on homesteading.
http://www.homesteadernews.com/