Monday, July 6, 2009

Fun With. . . .

. . . . Fireworks. . . .
The 4th of July is a time to bring out the fireworks.
And I figured it would be a good time to test out all the neat features of my new camera that Hubby had been saving for to get me for my Birthday.


Here is the result of fireworks and slow shutter speeds. The heart one is of sparklers, and the tall one is of a large bottle rocket. It didn't make a big blast in the sky, but the take-off was pretty
cool looking.












. . . . Chickens. . . .

We have separated the chickens into two different flocks: the eggs layers (plus two roosters), and the meat birds (mostly the dark Cornish). We also decided to try and totally free-range the meat birds, since they are more expendable. It's been fun and interesting to watch their behavior. For the first week they stayed close to the run and the other chicken area, but today they found their way all the way up to the house. We've also decided to let Fred loose and see what he does. The other chickens still pick on him, but he mostly just keeps to himself. We find him in different places. One day we went out there and found him by the power pole. I got him some watermelon rind and carried him back to the run to eat it in peace. They are pretty good about going back into their run and into bed consistently. We still have to coax one rooster in the layer pen that he has to go into that coop at night. Hopefully he'll learn it soon. On Friday we went out to check on them, and the layers were taking dust bathes. I've heard they do that, but have never seen them in the process. It's pretty funny. They lay on their side and kick the dirt up onto themselves and roll around and wallow, kind of like pigs, without the water.Fred picking at his watermelon rind before I carried him back to the run.Chillin' with Fred, he isn't too afraid of us anymore. At least he likes us better than the other chickens. He doesn't even mind Duke.The layers taking a dirt bath. If they weren't kicking and pecking it'd look like they were dead.The dark Cornish roosters watching Duke. He won't chase them unless we tell him to. He's fairly good at herding them when they don't want to go to bed. We don't trust him to be out there alone with him, because he's still a dog, and likes the taste of chickens.

. . . . Fuzzy and not-so-Fuzzy Babies. . . .
Summer is here, and it's hot and sticky. As some of you know last year I shaved the cat. I know I'm nuts, but it helped with shedding, flees, and overall cooling down. She sat there and took it. This year isn't as easy. I've gotten her back and sides. We are going to work on her stomach tomorrow.Desi in all her sad, shaved glory. Finished pictures to come.Duke is a very entertaining creature around here. There is a reason they call it the 'Dog Days of Summer'. If he isn't laying/sleeping on the LovSac, Hubby's lap, or on the floor by me, he's hyper. He's been fun to have around.

. . . .My new Camera. . . .
It has so many neat options that I've had to try them all out. You all know that I'm a picture junkie (I just think pictures are great for documenting what words cannot say.), so you'll get to see what I can do with my camera. I'm still trying to get the knack of the panoramic feature, so that picture is still to come. Here are some of the artistic pictures from around the property:Desi, back-lit by the light on my desk. The first subject of my new camera.I had a mason jar in my hand from giving the chickens some grain, I set it down to take pictures around me, then noticed that taking a picture of it against the gravel and tress might look cool.This is Romeo (Hubby named him). Along with Casanova, they are in the layers run with all the red and buff ladies. This stick has shown up in my pictures before, but I like the abstractness of it.Duke being camera shy. He just wanted to sit in my lap because I was sitting on the floor.The sweet corn is about waist high (on me). The St. John's Wart, also a previous subject, but it now has more flowers on it. I love the contrast between the bright yellow and the dark green.
Now I'm off to sewing world. New projects to come, and the website is half way up.

1 comments:

Ron said...

Fireworks photos are nifty, I like that slow shutter option.

Those chickens sure are funny when they dust-bathe. They really do look dead, don't they?! :)

Ron