Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dancing Queen

I had the opportunity this week to help a friend, Leslie, teach the youth in our ward the east coast swing/Lindy hop. It was so much fun, and the kids really had a great time, and really tried. It made me realize how much I miss dancing. Many of you may not know, but a long time ago, I used to dance West Coast Swing.
It happened while living in Arizona with my Mom, she got into it, and then got me into it. I've always loved to dance, and so I was all about learning something new. It was a great environment for me in my early twenties. Granted there weren't a lot of guys my age that went to our local swing club in Phoenix, but all the older men liked to dance with me. The local club held monthly competitions, and then a big one at the end of the year (which was actually in June). I'm not a competitive person by nature, but I did compete, and eventually worked my way up to the intermediate level, and took second in the end of year in that division.
Many of you may be scratching your heads and wondering what the difference is. The best example I can come up with is this: If any of you have watched 'So You Think You Can Dance', you might remember Benji Schwimmer who won season two and has been a guest choreographer on the recent seasons. Well, he is West Coast Swing Royalty. His parents dance, his sister, and cousins dance as well. I am including a YouTube clip of some awesome West Coast Swing Dancing by Benji Schwimmer.

*Benji Schwimmer & Kellese Key - 1st Place Showcase Division - USA Grand Nationals - May 2008

1 comments:

Brett, Kate and Austin said...

This was fun! Thanks again for helping me Stephie!